Wednesday, October 6, 2010

5K, Zombies and an Enriched Life

I have committed myself to getting fit. This Saturday is my very first 5K and I will be running for the Tampa Police Officers Memorial Fund. They risk their lives everyday for us, so the least I can do is run for them, right? I am both excited and nervous. To date my longest straight run is 2.55mi. I am hoping to push it to 3mi tonight or more. I will take tomorrow as a rest day and Friday I will do some speed walking with light weights- just enough to stay loose (and earn some APs). I don't want to risk hurting anything before Saturday.
After taking a look at where my life is currently, I realized I have NO excuse to NOT be fit. I'm not in a relationship that requires any of my time, I don't have any pets to take care of, and other than the occasional night out with friends or Football Sunday, the only thing I do is work. So.....what have I been doing with my time? I call it Zombie Living. Going thru the motions without a purpose and I have nothing to show for it. On top of running I am currently looking for hobbies that not only take up time, but serve a purpose and enrich my life in some way. I have come up with 2 things:

1) Dedicate myself to fully learning Spanish (I had a great start but I have slacked). I am currently looking for a school in Tampa or other method to get started.
2) Really learn to dance. I love music and I love to dance so it's a natural choice. I am looking into taking Salsa lessons which will hopefully lead me into other forms of dance.

I am giving myself a deadline of November 1st to find ways to do both. I don't want to look back on my life and say I wasted any of my time. One day I hope to be married and have children, but for now, this is my ME time and I want it to be memorable. No regrets. No more Zombie Living.

No comments:

Post a Comment